The modern business landscape is rapidly evolving before our eyes. As the world around us continues to change and as technology becomes increasingly advanced, business owners across industries are being faced with more challenges – and presented with more opportunities – than ever before.
One of the major challenges that many IT employers are facing today is a chronic shortage of job candidates. The rapid expansion and growth of the IT industry has made it difficult for many employers in this sector to identify, attract, and onboard IT professionals who are in increasingly high demand.
The bottom line is this: If you’re an IT employer who’s been struggling to find top talent employees to fill open positions within your company, you are absolutely not alone. Thankfully, there are a variety of modern communications technologies and recruitment best practices that can make it easier for employers in the IT industry to find their next direct hire.
Six Strategies to Expand Your Talent Pool and Find Your Next Direct Hire
In order to build a strong and resilient workforce, it’s essential to have an optimized recruitment strategy in place. Ideally, such a strategy will consist of multiple angles of approach. Just as you would with your investment portfolio, you should make it a priority to diversify your recruitment methods so that you can maximize your returns.
With those ideas in mind, here are six separate strategies that IT employers can adopt to expand their talent pool and find their next star employee:
- Recruit internally. In some cases, the perfect job candidate for an open position may already be working within your company. Internal recruiting – as opposed to external recruiting – is when an employer selects or promotes one of their current employees to occupy a new, more high-level role. In addition to enabling you to save the time it takes to get to know a new employee, internal recruiting can also help you cut back on recruiting costs.t
- Launch an employee referral program. A referral program is a simple and effective way to incentivize your existing employees to connect you with talented job candidates. Employee referrals can also yield big returns for employers: According to a recent study from LinkedIn, 45% of employees who were sourced through a referral program stayed with their employer for more than four years (in contrast, only 25% of employees who were sourced through an online job board stayed for more than two years).
- Start leveraging social media. Now more than ever, it’s crucial for IT employers to incorporate social media platforms into their candidate sourcing, hiring, and recruitment strategies. Why? Because social media platforms have come to play a significant role in the average candidate’s job search process. If you aren’t currently leveraging social media to get in touch with job candidates, you’re running the risk of remaining invisible to a significant portion of the IT industry’s talent pool. Check out this article to learn more about launching a social media recruitment strategy!
- Reach out to passive candidates. A “passive candidate” is an individual who is not actively seeking out a new job, but who would nonetheless seize a better job opportunity if one happened to come their way. Passive job candidates are not the minority of the workforce, either. In fact, it’s been estimated that they constitute as much as 85% of the modern workforce.
Attracting passive candidates to your company is easier than you may at first suspect. Here’s everything you need to know to get started.
- Partner up with a professional staffing firm. Staffing agencies specialize in maintaining an expansive network of talented IT job candidates. When you team up with a staffing firm, you’ll immediately gain access to a huge number of actively-searching and passive job candidates who would otherwise not be picked up by your HR team’s radar. A staffing firm will also help you to identify those few IT job candidates whose background, technical skills, and personalities make them ideal an fit for your company’s mission and workplace culture. Moreover, a staffing firm can make it easier for you to facilitate direct hire staffing, which can enable you to attract a greater number of candidates and increase your rates of employee retention.
Learn More About Optimizing Your Team and Expanding Your IT Talent Pool
If you’re looking to start growing your team, it’s important to begin optimizing your recruitment methods in the here and now. In doing so, you’ll be maximizing your chances of attracting and retaining top talent candidates down the road.
At the same time, we understand that many IT employers currently have too much on their plates to be able to devote much time to optimizing their recruitment and hiring processes. This is another major benefit of teaming up with a professional staffing firm: With a staffing firm in your corner, you’ll be able to rest assured knowing that your sourcing, hiring, recruitment, and onboarding needs are being attended to so that you can stay focused on the day-to-day demands of running your business.
To learn more about the benefits of partnering with a staffing firm to start looking for your newest star employee, please reach out to Nick Malefyt at email@example.com or contact our office today!